* October 23, 2014, 07:55:52 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come Chat with us live! Learn how HERE!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gameplay Bugfixes Update 2011-08-08  (Read 35493 times)
Lakitu7
Tremulous Developers

Turrets: +120/-73

Watch for spinys

« on: August 08, 2011, 10:46:34 PM »

Hi everyone! Today I am pushing out to the official servers a new set of VMS with, among other smaller non-gameplay fixes, makes the following changes. We are not starting an official new phase, as these are not expected to be significant enough to warrant one, but we will be making the balance data separable on our end in case they are more significant than expected. Tremstats is not being reset.

* (bug 5001) Fix repeater BP queueing, build them with full BP available (/dev/humancontroller)
  - Set the queue time short to encourage builders to wait for the queue rather than replace the repeater (Norfenstein)

* (bug 4999) Marauder+ zap bugfixes (/dev/humancontroller)
  - Use spherical distance checks instead of cubic
  - Fix buildables' ability to be zapped by two marauder+'s at once
  - Chain to targets visible to each other, rather than visible to the zapper (e.g. chains can go around corners)
  - Fix zap effect disappearing too early when target dies

* (bug 5087) Improve widetrace (alien swipe) hit detection (/dev/humancontroller)
Specifically, this improves ability to swipe/bite humans that are pressed against a wall.

* (bug 5020) Allow dragoon pounces to do damage if released before the end of a previously-fired weapon's delay. Previously it would fire, but not do any damage. Thanks Dracone for reporting.

* (bug 5039) Fix buildables to initialize with the correct normal vector, which should improve falsely self-destructing eggs (/dev/humancontroller)

* (bug 5092) Improve ckit repair targeting direction (/dev/humancontroller/)

* Add ready-related text to cg_tutorial during intermission

Thanks DevHC for submitting so many of these.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:21:23 PM by Lakitu7 » Logged
Lakitu7
Tremulous Developers

Watch for spinys

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »

Okay, this is now up on both official servers.
sirshiz

Turrets: +3/-5

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:47:24 AM »

Great bugfixes everyone!

Maybe this will also restore some faith in the devs for Dracone as he had experienced little feedback for his submitted bugs.

Progress is progressing at a progressive progression!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:49:40 AM by sirshiz » Logged
FreaK

Turrets: +45/-59

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »

Zapping bases was already strong, I'm worried now for competitive matches whenever aliens get s2 they will just zap rush and end it.
Cadynum

Turrets: +29/-13

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »

Zapping bases was already strong, I'm worried now for competitive matches whenever aliens get s2 they will just zap rush and end it.
If it turns out zap is too strong then it would have to be rebalanced. It's important things work intuitively.
WarLock

Turrets: +6/-4

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »

Nice job to all dev, it's the way to go
+1
WarLock

Qui sème le vent récolte la tempête

Meisseli
Spam Killer

Turrets: +83/-25

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »

Zap now connects +1 to +2 buildings compared to before. The change is obviously good, zap is more intuitive, but needs some nerfing.

What does this mean specifically? Two marauders couldn't damage with zap at the exact same time - or while the other's animation was still playing?

Lakitu7
Tremulous Developers

Watch for spinys

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »

If it turns out zap is too strong then it would have to be rebalanced. It's important things work intuitively.
Right

What does this mean specifically? Two marauders couldn't damage with zap at the exact same time - or while the other's animation was still playing?
Honestly I'm not certain. I didn't verify that part of the bug because it was all one patch. I just made sure it worked afterward. Ask DevHC if you really care.
Menace13

Turrets: +12/-41

Proud Sir| Clan Member

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 05:39:08 PM »

Granger+ is still invincible to fall damage while wallwalk is on. *cough*

but a small twisty barrel will have small pew pew's, and small pew pew's can hurt mr.tyrant.
jm82792

Turrets: +9/-34

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »

Humans need a guide for building properly.
I see so many poor builds, then people say "Crap those buffed up marauders are zapping us to pieces!".
However if they build properly marauders aren't as powerful as they are cracked up to be.

/dev/humancontroller

Turrets: +999/-379

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:00:21 PM »

Zap now connects +1 to +2 buildings compared to before. The change is obviously good, zap is more intuitive, but needs some nerfing.

"at the same time" doesn't make much sense. yes, while the other's animations is being played. however that applies only to chained zaps (not primary zaps).
A Spork
Spam Killer

Turrets: +37/-230

rawr

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »

you act like you want friend granger to go splat when he slips D:

Don't shoot friend Basilisk! Friend Basilisk only wants to give you hugz and to be your hat

Proud Member of the S.O.B.F.O.B.S.A.D: The Society Of Basilisks For Other Basilisks Safety and Dominance
Basilisk    Basilisk    Basilisk
RAKninja-Decepticon

Turrets: +14/-679

:dretch: :basilisk: :tyrant: and Decepticon

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »

good changes.

i had thought something odd about swipe range, and i can remember a few times a pounce seemed to do nothing at all.

but no flamer change?

Note 4: The best, although not always easiest, way to deal with trolls is thus: do not respond at ALL in the thread.
Main Rules
4.) No spamming or advertising (includes useless multi-posts and bumps.)
6b.) Do NOT harass other members.
  6c.) Do NOT troll!
CorSair

Turrets: +14/-0

Never trust a bartender with bad grammar.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »

Humans need a guide for building properly.
I see so many poor builds, then people say "Crap those buffed up marauders are zapping us to pieces!".
However if they build properly marauders aren't as powerful as they are cracked up to be.
Problem solved.

Actually, granger uses his acrobatic skills while using wallwalk.

Anyway, these fixes have done good, to this moment.

Qrntz

Turrets: +204/-12

BE VIGILANT

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »

a few times a pounce seemed to do nothing at all.
A few times? Perhaps your ping helps.
Pounce as it is almost never worked right for me (except 1.1, don't remember if it was like that in early phases of GPP).
The interesting thing is, though, that if during the pounce I hold the jump key as if I would to continue a pounce by a jump (the jump also carries the pounce's 'lightsaber') that seems to make me hit at a much more acceptable rate.

You make up Qrntz, u always angry, just calmdown. police
I am stupid idiot who dares to open mouth and start debating
ziplocpeople

Turrets: +23/-20

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 10:56:44 PM »

I still think giving the mara a gradient damage zap would be best, maybe increasing its max targets to compensate- simply because it doesn't make sense for it to do the same amount of damage for every single target.

Quote from: Sir|Periculosus
yes yes spam a little more and heyll understand! yes yes
मैं स्पैम बॉट समर्थन
मैं हिन्दी का समर्थन
~The Medistation
RAKninja-Decepticon

Turrets: +14/-679

:dretch: :basilisk: :tyrant: and Decepticon

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 06:09:43 AM »

a few times a pounce seemed to do nothing at all.
A few times? Perhaps your ping helps.
Pounce as it is almost never worked right for me (except 1.1, don't remember if it was like that in early phases of GPP).
The interesting thing is, though, that if during the pounce I hold the jump key as if I would to continue a pounce by a jump (the jump also carries the pounce's 'lightsaber') that seems to make me hit at a much more acceptable rate.

saying "few times" because in the heat of battle, it's sometimes hard to tell.

and it wasent just unlagged's weirdness.  stuff like a full pounce to the face doing nothing.  didnt happen often or reliably enough for me to justify reporting it.

also, having played a bit with the updates, i will say mara's swipe seems a lot more intuitive.  goon chomp as well.

Note 4: The best, although not always easiest, way to deal with trolls is thus: do not respond at ALL in the thread.
Main Rules
4.) No spamming or advertising (includes useless multi-posts and bumps.)
6b.) Do NOT harass other members.
  6c.) Do NOT troll!
Meisseli
Spam Killer

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 07:09:44 AM »

"at the same time" doesn't make much sense. yes, while the other's animations is being played. however that applies only to chained zaps (not primary zaps).
So if I now understand this correctly - the other marauder's zap damage to the same structures was completely nullified if the first's zap animation was still playing (except the "primary" structure)? Just trying to get a sense in how big of a change the bugfix is here.

/dev/humancontroller

Turrets: +999/-379

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »

So if I now understand this correctly - the other marauder's zap damage to the same structures was completely nullified if the first's zap animation was still playing (except the "primary" structure)?
yes (to be clear: the exception is the "other" marauder's primary target).
Meisseli
Spam Killer

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »

So if I now understand this correctly - the other marauder's zap damage to the same structures was completely nullified if the first's zap animation was still playing (except the "primary" structure)?
yes (to be clear: the exception is the "other" marauder's primary target).
OK. Seems like overall the zap has undergone quite a big gameplay change then - it probably needs some nerfing.

(I'd probably reduce number of targets to 3 or 4 and decrease the sphere's range, or maybe even lessen the damage to 50)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:08:03 PM by Meisseli » Logged

Dracone

Turrets: +138/-278

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »

Dev HC's action on the alien attacks being fucked up is incredibly major in a good way. Aliens probably won't get fucked over by shitty no-hits anymore. Playing aliens was starting to feel like playing UrT.

Quote from: St. Anger
Tip 4 baslick guiz: Make sure you get near them bc u can stiky them i think its a bug lolz. but dont tell 2 many ppl shh.
Quote from: dobruiyyk
It's possible, your descendant will never see the sun because our species is gonna extinct in nearest future. So you better unstick from your computer and find a girl to make a child with!
Kiwi

Turrets: +29/-9

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »

Thanks for the updates devs, I look forward to trying these out when I get home Smiley

Pazuzu

Turrets: +50/-12

GRANGER IS NOT FOR MEME.

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 05:27:09 AM »

Holy crap the new zap is broken. We just had aliens win 16 games in a row, largely because of zap rushes.

ok, can you give me the tool thingy app that can code?
UniqPhoeniX
Spam Killer

Turrets: +66/-32

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 04:54:20 PM »

IIRC the zap chain range is now spherical with a radius of 200qu, while with the box shape it was ~115qu from center to side of the box, and ~200qu to the corner of the box. Which means it is far more likely to chain to max amount of targets now.
Tho I'd also have preferred to have chain damage fall off with distance, like splash damage.

Menace13

Turrets: +12/-41

Proud Sir| Clan Member

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »

Tho I'd also have preferred to have chain damage fall off with distance, like splash damage.
Agreed.

but a small twisty barrel will have small pew pew's, and small pew pew's can hurt mr.tyrant.
Nux

Turrets: +257/-69

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 03:18:15 AM »

Or you could share the damage between all parts of the chain for realism...

...if you want realism...

...which, of course, you don't.

sirshiz

Turrets: +3/-5

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 04:55:47 AM »

...if you want realism...

...which, of course, you don't.

Do you mean if you target one building/human it's 100% damage to that target and then split 50% if it's two, and so on and so forth? Because if so, that's a damned good idea.
kharnov
Spam Killer

Turrets: +46/-790

I AM VERY FIRM

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 05:31:57 AM »

So to survive being struck by lighting, all I have to do is surround myself with enough friends to absorb all the electricity?
Norfenstein

Turrets: +81/-78

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »

Do you mean if you target one building/human it's 100% damage to that target and then split 50% if it's two, and so on and so forth? Because if so, that's a damned good idea.
That's how it used to work, and it defeated the purpose of the zap. Aliens need something for dealing with a mass of defensive structures, something that gives humans a reason not to make their entire defense a single wall of rifle-camped turrets. The zap is their grenade.

The zap IS intended to function like a splash weapon, so this is something worth seriously considering. It might be more fun for the range to be bigger than it was but for structures farther away to still be in less danger. The biggest benefit would probably be humans not having to build quite so precisely to protect themselves from marauders.

I'm worried now for competitive matches whenever aliens get s2 they will just zap rush and end it.
What I could really use is for people that play competitive matches to test the repeater buildpoint queuing. You'll now have to wait a few seconds after a repeater-powered structure is destroyed before having the points to rebuild it. This is something that only ever affects gameplay when humans build and actually try to maintain forward bases, and I've seen it be an issue exactly once in public games. That one time was when I used two overlapping repeaters to seal off the door to the box room in Tremor with turrets (the human base was in this room); even though aliens attacked repeatedly with goons, they couldn't respawn and return to our base quite fast enough to bring down the forward defense. This is something I'm going to have to balance almost entirely based on feedback (and demos!) from organized play.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:59:02 AM by Norfenstein » Logged
Celestial_Rage

Turrets: +120/-8

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »

We can provide demos from the GPP Tournament semifinals that will happen tomorrow, if you are interested.

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" ~Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: