* October 21, 2014, 01:28:51 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come Chat with us live! Learn how HERE!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I create a tremulous server that I can add bots to??  (Read 14662 times)
riderrocker

Turrets: +0/-3

« on: July 27, 2009, 04:12:33 AM »

I'm trying to make a server that I can add bots to and play on by myself. I'm not trying to get other players to connect to my server, so it shouldn't be all that complicated, right?
Clicking 'Play' and then 'Create' from the main menu gets me a private server, but how do I add bots to it?

Thanks
mooseberry
Community Moderators

Turrets: +666/-325

Hello.

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:01:57 AM »

It's slightly more complicated than that.  Roll Eyes

Try reading stickies and searching please.

Bucket: [You hear the distant howl of a coyote losing at Counterstrike.]

मैं हिन्दी का समर्थन

~Mooseberry.
riderrocker

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:23:26 AM »

yeah, i've been doing that for the last 3 hours. All the stickies and posts i've read are guides to creating a server other players can join.
I'm trying to make one I can practice on with bots.
I've found guides for using bots but i can't figure out how to give myself admin on the personal server
mooseberry
Community Moderators

Hello.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 06:08:55 AM »

You could just set a password. This has the added benefit of allowing friends of yours to play with you also, while keeping out strangers.

मैं हिन्दी का समर्थन

~Mooseberry.
David
Spam Killer

Turrets: +249/-273

David

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:49:40 PM »

It's probably easier to just start a private server than to try and get the client to run up-to-date qvm's.

Any maps not in the MG repo?  Email me or come to irc.freenode.net/#mg.
--
My words are mine and mine alone.  I can't speak for anyone else, and there is no one who can speak for me.  If I ever make a post that gives the opinions or positions of other users or groups, then they will be clearly labeled as such.
I'm disappointed that people's past actions have forced me to state what should be obvious.
I am not a dev.  Nothing I say counts for anything.
riderrocker

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 06:52:16 PM »

yeah, i have a private server, i was just trying to figure out how to give myself admin on the private server so i can add bots
Baconizer

Turrets: +80/-52

Perpetually Confused

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »

1. Set your rcon password in server.cfg (set rconPassword yourpasswordhere)

2. Go into the server, and open up console (~)

3. Type /rcon yourpasswordhere !setlevel yournamehere X

X = whatever the highest admin level is. By default it's 5. (You can add more in admin.dat)

Why will you folk not ban me? Cry
riderrocker

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »

where do i put server.cfg?
can i just create it with notepad?
Baconizer

Perpetually Confused

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 01:25:41 AM »

server.cfg is created automatically in base/ when you run your tremded. Editing with notepad is a good idea.

riderrocker

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 01:29:12 AM »

i'm not using tremded to make a server, i'm just clicking the create server button from the menu.
i have a server.cfg that sets the rcon password, but what folder do i put it in so that it will work
Baconizer

Perpetually Confused

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 01:44:15 AM »

Use a tremded. I'm pretty sure you'll have to in order to get a private server with bots that friends may also join.

Follow this guide, but instead of TJW's QVM or Tremded, use something else.

For Tremded, try Mercenaries Guild Client, or TremFusion. Personally, I like TremFusion.

For QVM, you'll need something that supports bots. I haven't really looked into it too much, but a couple of Google searches reveal some options:

PBot - http://xserverx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1363
Invasion - http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=9058.0
Ambush - http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=8864.0
Amine's - http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=7601.0

Those should have plenty of info on setting up the server.

I think that setting "dedicated" to "1" instead of "2" would keep it off the master list, and allow friends to /connect to your IP.

You shouldn't have to stop your Tremded, just leave it up and connect (and let your friends connect) at will.

Good luck!

EDIT: Sorry. base/ is under your Tremulous data directory. It's where your maps are stored, your binds, etc. I'm not running Windows and therefore can't check, but your base folder should be:
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\riderrocker\Local Settings\Application Data\Tremulous\base
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:47:15 AM by Baconizer » Logged

riderrocker

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:03:05 AM »

i'm not trying to allow friends to join, i just wanna practice against the bots myself
and i figured out how to make myself admin, i just typed /set rconPassword "testing" into console and it worked
riderrocker

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 02:28:43 AM »

I was hoping to use the bot from here
http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=6163.0

how do I install the patch?
mooseberry
Community Moderators

Hello.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 04:46:27 AM »

I was hoping to use the bot from here
http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=6163.0

how do I install the patch?

That is old, you would do better using something newer. And for your information, you will need to follow Baconizer's instructions. You can't just use create a server.

मैं हिन्दी का समर्थन

~Mooseberry.
Ytram

Turrets: +3/-1

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »

You can use the PBOT QVM. http://xserverx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1363
that has fairly good bots which combines amine's bot with the ambush mod. The PBOT QVM works with the TremFusion client from http://www.tremfusion.net/ and does not need a tremded.
the QVM goes in the vm folder in the base folder (base\vm).
The bots only work on ATCS unless you can find more paths for them.
You may have to make the server using /map atcs in the console

- Insert Signature Here -
riderrocker

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »

ok, I was just trying to find out if I could use bots by myself without going through all that port forwarding stuff.
And are you able to control what the PBOT does?
One of the things I wanted to do was have them stand still so I can get a feel for the range of goon chomps, etc.
riderrocker

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »

ok, i got tremfusion running, and i'm going to sound like an idiot here, but how do you apply the patch downloaded with the pbot qvm?
and if you don't need a tremded with tremfusion, then how do you create a server?
Ytram

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 08:23:14 AM »

ok, i got tremfusion running, and i'm going to sound like an idiot here, but how do you apply the patch downloaded with the pbot qvm?
the patch is for compiling, which you should not need to do. Just put the game.qvm in to the vm folder in your base (create one if there isn't already one there).

and if you don't need a tremded with tremfusion, then how do you create a server?
TremFusion does not have a create server button for some reason but you can create one by pressing the (~) key and typing
Code:
/map atcs
into the console. The server will only work for private use and LAN of course.
Remember after the map is loaded type
Code:
/sv_privateclients (the number of bots you want to add)
To add bots type
Code:
!bot add [botname] [team]
!bot add ROBOCOP humans - adds ROBOCOP to human team
!bot add ALIENBOT aliens - adds ALIENBOT to alien team

!bot del [name-match]
!bot del ROBO - deletes every bot that contains 'ROBO' in their name
!bot del BOT - deletes every bot that contains 'BOT' in their name
Oh and the paths folder from the compressed file must also be added into base.
The information file included in the compressed file has some possibly useful commands in it.

And are you able to control what the PBOT does?
One of the things I wanted to do was have them stand still so I can get a feel for the range of goon chomps, etc.
Yes these commands should do something but not all of them work.
Code:
!botcmd [name-match] [command]
This will change the bot behavior.
!botcmd ROBOCOP idle <-- idle. don't shoot enemy, nothing.
!botcmd ROBOCOP standground <-- stand ground but kill enemy.
!botcmd ROBOCOP regular <-- chase enemy and kill (default behavior).
!botcmd ROBOCOP teamkill <-- consider teammates as enemies.
!botcmd ROBOCOP followattack <-- follow me until you see enemy, kill it, then follow me again!
!botcmd ROBOCOP followidle <-- follow me no matter what. Do not attack.
!botcmd ROBOCOP followprotect <-- not yet implemented.
!botcmd ROBOCOP defensive <-- not yet implemented.
!botcmd ROBOCOP attack <-- not yet implemented.

Any other !botcmd behavior will default to 'regular'

The commands are on this page http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=6163.0;wap2 good luck.

riderrocker

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 07:14:14 PM »

Hey, thanks for your help. Everything works great, except for a slight GUI problem that i run into when i use /map atcs.
I fixed it by using the original tremulous mod with tremfusion. I'll attach some images.

Anyway, looks like my problems are solved, thank you for your help everyone. Cheesy

* My Problem.bmp (900.05 KB, 640x480 - viewed 373 times.)

* How I solved it.bmp (900.05 KB, 640x480 - viewed 325 times.)
Ytram

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »

Happy to help.  laugh
I had that GUI problem too but i forgot about it. I managed to fix it by removing the tremfusion files from that base and just using the client on its own but it sounds like you already fixed it yourself by doing pretty much the same thing.  Grin

Urcscumug

Turrets: +18/-7

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 03:15:36 AM »

I can't seem to be able to enable the bots. I got the PBOT game.qvm, placed it in base/vm/, also got the paths file. When I enter /map atcs I don't see any !bot commands in !help, and using !bot just broadcasts it as if I said it.

Do I need to do anything more? Some config magic? I don't think it's even being picked up, 'cause I don't see anything about the qvm file on console.

New to Tremulous? Look up the Wraths Newbie Server in the in-game server list.
Ytram

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 10:23:51 AM »

If you can, make a copy of vms-1.1.0.pk3 and move the copy to a safe place outside of the base.
Then go back into the base and open the other vms-1.1.0.pk3 with a .zip handling program and replace the game.qvm with the PBOT game.qvm.
That should now work, that is what i did.
Remember you also need a compatible client, I used TremFusion.

David
Spam Killer

Turrets: +249/-273

David

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 11:23:04 AM »

Editing the files that come with trem is a very bad idea and will just break everything should you ever try to play with anyone else.
Run the server, do "/fs_homepath" in the console (without quotes) and it should give you a path.  Put the game.qvm in fs_homepath/pbot/vm and the start the server with +set fs_game pbot

Any maps not in the MG repo?  Email me or come to irc.freenode.net/#mg.
--
My words are mine and mine alone.  I can't speak for anyone else, and there is no one who can speak for me.  If I ever make a post that gives the opinions or positions of other users or groups, then they will be clearly labeled as such.
I'm disappointed that people's past actions have forced me to state what should be obvious.
I am not a dev.  Nothing I say counts for anything.
Ytram

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 11:29:03 AM »

OK, thanks David. That is better than what I said.
I have not yet had any problems with editing vms-1.1.0.pk3 though.  Smiley

Urcscumug

Turrets: +18/-7

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »

Thank you too. I would have never figured out in a million years that you have to place the game.qvm under .tremulous/pbot/vm/. All the instructions I've read said to put it under .tremulous/base/vm/, and that did nothing. And there was absolutely no peep about the /set fs_game pbot command either.

Well now it works.

And another piece of "magic", for other people who might need it: using tremfusion client, you can't start /devmap or /map. You have to select "base" from the Mods in the main menu, then /devmap or /map will work.

New to Tremulous? Look up the Wraths Newbie Server in the in-game server list.
Ytram

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »

Thanks for figuring that out. putting it under .tremulous/pbot/vm/ then using +set fs_game pbot will run it as its own mod instead of replacing the default .qvm, that is a better method but I'm still gonna stick to mine Grin. I never had a problem with using /map and /devmap in tremfusion, then again that's just me. Now I know.

riderrocker

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »

In the pbot game.qvm, when i type /map atcs into console the turrets do 20 damage instead of 4. Is there a way to fix this?
Kiwi

Turrets: +29/-9

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 12:03:16 AM »

In the pbot game.qvm, when i type /map atcs into console the turrets do 20 damage instead of 4. Is there a way to fix this?
ahh the pbot qvm.  I used that for a bit.  I recompiled it changing the turret damage in tremulous.h...  I'll look for my built qvm and see if I can find it.  But the only way you can fix this is by recompialing the qvm.  Right?  But now that I think about it you might be able to set it in server.cfg?  Can you?  So before recompialing anything add to your server.cfg:
Code:
set mgturret_dmg 4
and
Code:
set mgturret_repeat 100
that might fix your turrets, but your telsas will also be messed up so add:
Code:
set teslagen_repeat 250
and
Code:
set teslagen_dmg 9

If you did that and it didn't fix you dmg settings(don't forget to restart your server) then ask me again, and I'll try to host my qvm on my website so you can download it..

riderrocker

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 02:11:42 AM »

does it matter where I put it in server.cfg? I just added 'set mgturret_dmg 4' at the bottom, and it didn't work.
I also wanted to make the spawning delay 10 seconds, would it be easier to just use your qvm?
Ytram

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »

But now that I think about it you might be able to set it in server.cfg?  Can you?  So before recompialing anything add to your server.cfg:
Code:
set mgturret_dmg 4
and
Code:
set mgturret_repeat 100
that might fix your turrets, but your telsas will also be messed up so add:
Code:
set teslagen_repeat 250
and
Code:
set teslagen_dmg 9
I tried adding this in my autogen, which will do the same thing right? All it did was create cvar's called "mgturret_dmg" etc that did not change how much damage the turrets did. To change the actual variable I believe it will need to be recompiled.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: